Vineyard/Winery Tour, March 11
Tour schedule (subject to change):
9:30-10:00 am Tour check in at Robeson County Extension office, Lumberton, NC (bus riders, carpools):
10-30 am -1:00 pm Winery tour, vineyard tour, tastings, and lunch at Charlie T Locklear Vineyard & Winery
1:30 pm-6:30 pm Winery tour, vineyard tour, tasting and dinner at Cypress Bend Vineyards. Includes intensive sessions on:
- vine management (Mark Hoffmann, NCSU extension grape specialist)
- winemaking (Cypress Bend’s winemaker, Nadia Hetzel)
- winery and event management (Tina Smith, Cypress Bend Vineyards)
- wine judging (experienced wine judges Chuck Blethen and Alan Staton)
7:00 pm Arrive back in Lumberton. Note: Cypress Bend Vineyards will be having its regular “Jazzy Friday” event starting at 7:00 pm (ticket of $13/person will be covered by tour registration fee). Participants may choose stay on for this.
Conference Program, March 12 All activities at the SE NC Ag Center in Lumberton.
8:00-9:00 Registration and refreshments. Visit with exhibitors
9:00 am -12:30 pm Program
- Disease Control Updates and Fungicide Trials report – Bill Cline, NC State University
- Production Updates – Mark Hoffmann, NC State University
- Spotted Lanternfly Is Coming! What you need to know – Amy Michael, NCDA&CS
- Renovation of Older Vines – Mark Hoffmann, NC State University
- Muscadine Cultivars – Current Options and Future Prospects – Patrick Connor, University of Georgia
- Care, Maintenance and Sanitation of Harvesting Equipment and Containers – Panel discussion
12:30-1:30 pm Lunch, NC Muscadine Grape Association Annual Meeting and visit with Exhibitors
1:30- 5:15 pm Program
- Improving Muscadine Wine Quality: Grape Testing Results and M-QIP Opportunities – Panel discussion
- Reports on
- NCMGA’s Social Media: 2021 report and 2022 plans — Jamal Williams, Seven Springs Farms and Vineyards
- NCDA International Muscadine Marketing Efforts – Cathy Ma, NCDA&CS
- NC Wine & Grape Council Projects and Activities — Mark Friszolowski, Childress Vineyards
- Fresh Market Muscadine GAPS Resources and Information – Chloe Johnson, Carolina Farm Stewardship Association
- Markets for Fresh Market Muscadines – Panel of Fresh-Market Buyers: Courtney Tellefsen, The Produce Box; Lonnie Kelley, Food Lion; Taylor Holenbeck, Happy Dirt
- Healthy Hope – A new documentary film on muscadine health benefits research. An exclusive private preview showing.
Return to Conference home page.