This jelly can be warmed and used as a glaze on meat and vegetable kabobs! Serve over salty and tart cheeses on toast as an appetizer too. The muscadine flavor really shines through with this jelly. You can use bronze or dark grapes. If using purple/black hulled grapes, the rich red-hued color is spectacular.
- 5 cups muscadine grape juice
- 1 box pectin
- 5-6 cups sugar (adjust sugar depending on sweetness of the grapes and personal preference)
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper, more or less per your taste
- 1-2 finely diced jalapeno peppers, optional
- Heat grape juice and pectin in heavy bottomed pot. Whisk to dissolve the pectin.
- Stir in sugar and peppers. Bring to a boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat and put into hot sterilized jars. Process as for any jam or jelly.
Makes about 8 half-pint jars.
Source: Flavor NC on UNC-TV. See the episode video here.