- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup prepared NC muscadines
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- grated lemon peel
- apple pie spice (optional)
- To prepare muscadines, remove pulp; cook pulp until seeds loosen
- Press pulp through sieve to remove seeds.
- Add pulp to skins and cook until tender.
- Add sugar to taste, some grated lemon peel and a sprinkle of apple pie spice, if desired.
- Mix flour, sugar and milk in another bowl.
- Melt butter in glass pie plate. Pour flour mixture over butter.
- Carefully pour prepared muscadines over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Do not open oven until baking time is up.
- Cake should be brown on top. Yield: 8 servings.
Photo from https://grubamericana.com which has a slightly different recipe here.